Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

I got this from my mom...I'm not sure where she got it!

Ingredients:

* 2 cups uncooked dried elbow macaroni
* 1/4 cup butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 cups milk
* 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used garlic salt)
* 2 cups cheddar cheese, cubed 1/2 inch
* 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
* 1 tablespoon butter, melted
* 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh parsley

Heat oven to 350. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.

Meanwhile, melt 1/4 cup butter in 3-quart saucepan until sizzling; stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth and bubbly (1 minute). Add milk and salt. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened (3-4 minutes).

Stir in cooked macaroni and cheese. Spoon into ungreased 2-quart casserole.

Stir together all remaining ingredients in small bowl; sprinkle over macaroni and cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through and golden brown.

Tip: For gourmet flavor, stir in 3 ounces cubed cream cheese and 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard with the milk.

No comments: